guix-devel

Re: Speeding up “guix pull”: splitting modules

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Speeding up “guix pull”: splitting modules
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 18:44:54 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 at 00:29, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:

> zimoun <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > So knowing where the cycles are could help to transform the DaG (not
> > fully acyclic yet) to a DAG. :-)
>
> Unfortunately, the module graph necessarily contains cycles.  The only
> way to avoid them would be to have exactly one module per package, given
> that the package graph is acyclic.

My mind is not clear and I miss a point.

I understand that module graph contains cycles. I am not convinced it
is *necessary* and I am not convinced neither that the only solution
is "one module per package".

Today, the structure of modules is per language and/or topic.
The union of all the package graphs which is big DAG can be
arbitrarily splited into sub-DAGs and these sub-DAGs becomes modules.
And I am not convinced that the size of these sub-DAG is only one
package.

Well, that's another story. :-)
And it will not help for speeding up.

However, working on the graph could help to identify the "hot"
packages and/or modules, IMHO.

Cheers,
simon