guix-devel

Re: Speeding up “guix pull”: splitting modules

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Speeding up “guix pull”: splitting modules
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 22:50:03 +0100

Hello!

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> On the other hand: this would need to be an ongoing effort.  Newly
> introduced packages or even new features might create complex module
> cycles.  It sounds tedious to keep track of this and to enforce
> boundaries.

Yes, I think this is a dead end: glibc could well end up become on
Haskell (hi, Pandoc!), and then the whole module split effort collapses.

Ultimately, I think we need to look into optimizing the compiler.  The
profiling I did a while back¹ suggests pessimal behavior of some of the
compiler phases when given large inputs.

Ludo’.

¹ https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2017-10/msg00035.html
  (I’ve been meaning to resume that investigation for a long time, but
  I’d really need to do nothing but that for a couple of weeks…)