Re: gen gc

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: gen gc
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 10:40:03 -0500

Han-Wen <address@hidden> writes:

> What do you mean by integer counter?

A unique per-object value taken from a plain old integer sequence.
i.e. the first object is 1, the second is 2, etc.

> The value is only intended for human consumption (i.e. debugging)

OK, that's one thing I wasn't sure of, and given that, I wasn't sure
whether a unique number that's constant across the lifetime of the
object (an integer), or the address (which may change) would be more
useful.  I suppose it depends on what type of debugging you're trying
to do, and of course, the address would be cheaper to provide.

Note though, that if there's not supposed to be a way to look up an
object by its object-address value, then you don't need to store the
values in a hash table mapping to objects or similar.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu