Re: gen gc

From: Han-Wen
Subject: Re: gen gc
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 11:39:41 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Anyways, the goops code only uses the address for printing, so it
> > would safe to return the address. I suggest that the documentation be
> > changed to
> >
> >     "Return the address of OBJ as an integer. Note that this
> >     address may change between runs due to garbage collection."
>
> Alternately if we really need a unique value, and if it's only used
> for printing -- couldn't we just use a good old fashioned integer
> counter?  What's the point of printing the address of the object if
> it's only the transient address of the object, unless perhaps the
> value's only intended for debugging?

What do you mean by integer counter? You have to store a reference to
the object when object-address is first invoked on it; then you might
as well store the object in a list and simply mark it conservatively.
(and then you have to add support to maintain the list weakly --
argh).

The value is only intended for human consumption (i.e. debugging)

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen