Re: gen gc

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: gen gc
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 23:07:06 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> Han-Wen <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > What do you mean by integer counter?
>
> A unique per-object value taken from a plain old integer sequence.
> i.e. the first object is 1, the second is 2, etc.

The point is that the number should be associated with the object, and
you have to remember that association, since addresses might change
between any two calls of object-address.

If we don't have to keep an association, then ...  well we could
return any random number (say, the outcome of rand() ) and the whole
procedure is pointless.