Re: gen gc

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: gen gc
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 22:59:05 -0500

> Anyways, the goops code only uses the address for printing, so it
> would safe to return the address. I suggest that the documentation be
> changed to
>
>       "Return the address of OBJ as an integer. Note that this
>       address may change between runs due to garbage collection."

Alternately if we really need a unique value, and if it's only used
for printing -- couldn't we just use a good old fashioned integer
counter?  What's the point of printing the address of the object if
it's only the transient address of the object, unless perhaps the
value's only intended for debugging?

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu