Re: gen gc

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: gen gc
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:08:10 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> >What if I can't?  Memory cells are going to move around. I don't see a
> >way to generate a unique number without making some kind of table for
> >objects subjected to object-address.
> >

> Actually it only says it should be unique, not never-changing. In
> particular,
> all it needs for eq? to grok it is uniqueness. I guess just returning
> the address
> ought to work, no?

It says "for the lifetime of this object".

Anyways, the goops code only uses the address for printing, so it
would safe to return the address. I suggest that the documentation be
changed to

        "Return the address of OBJ as an integer. Note that this
        address may change between runs due to garbage collection."