Re: gen gc

From: Miroslav Silovic
Subject: Re: gen gc
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:08:28 +0200

Han-Wen wrote:

address@hidden writes:
Han-Wen <address@hidden> writes:

How is this supposed to portable to GenGC?
  SCM_DEFINE (scm_object_address, "object-address", 1, 0, 0,
           (SCM obj),
            "Return an integer that for the lifetime of @var{obj} is uniquely\n"
            "returned by this function for @var{obj}")

This is used in some of the goops code -- should I retain it?
It would be cool if you could fake it.  It doesn't need to be the real
memory address of the object, just a unique integer.

?

What if I can't?  Memory cells are going to move around. I don't see a
way to generate a unique number without making some kind of table for
objects subjected to object-address.
Actually it only says it should be unique, not never-changing. In particular, all it needs for eq? to grok it is uniqueness. I guess just returning the address
ought to work, no?

   Miro