Re: gen gc

From: Han-Wen
Subject: Re: gen gc
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 01:12:38 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> Han-Wen <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > How is this supposed to portable to GenGC?
> >
> >    SCM_DEFINE (scm_object_address, "object-address", 1, 0, 0,
> >             (SCM obj),
> >         "Return an integer that for the lifetime of @var{obj} is uniquely\n"
> >         "returned by this function for @var{obj}")
> >
> > This is used in some of the goops code -- should I retain it?
>
> It would be cool if you could fake it.  It doesn't need to be the real
> memory address of the object, just a unique integer.

?

What if I can't?  Memory cells are going to move around. I don't see a
way to generate a unique number without making some kind of table for
objects subjected to object-address.

Btw, I can imagine that internal hash tables might use the address of
a cell as a source for a hash index. Does that happen anywhere?

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   address@hidden   |   http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen