Re: [Groff] tmac.html unreadable

From: Eddie Maddox
Subject: Re: [Groff] tmac.html unreadable
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 23:28:40 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > > :-) You mean it is
> > - tmac.html unreadable
> > - [not] formatted nicely
> > - all run together
> > - great big blob
> > - like a GPG public key
>
> EDDIE!
>
> Please stop writing this nonsense.  You can't use your browser as a
> navigating tool on your hard disk!  I strongly suggest to use mc.

!. Yes you can use some browsers for navigating hard disks, though some
are better at it than others. Lynx does expect this use, but has
limitations.

2. I also use mc a lot.

> Then you would have seen the series of files
>
>   tmac.html
>   tmac.latin1
>   tmac.lj4
>
> Does this ring some bells?  tmac.html is of course *not* an HTML file
> despite of its name but rather a groff macro file for the grohtml

Yes, this was so obvious I never even considered it's usual meaning as
being applicable to this directory. Therefore, it never occured to me the
results I saw were do to a rendering attempt.

> output device.  Look at the file without formatting, and you will see
> some structure.  Pressing `Shift+F3' in mc will do the trick.

First, my report was based on MC F3, View, and also Lynx. Both, both I
say, displayed the file as I reported it.

However, I did not know of Shift+F3. Tried it. No help.

However, I did try, just now, MC F4, Edit. Works!

I had not tried F4, Edit before because, 1. I had no interest in modifying
it, and 2. it did not occur to me whether it may have been a rendering
attempt.

I have used F4, Edit other times to avoid rendering, but for this file the
result was so bad it just didn't occur to me it could just be an extreme
case of that. But then, as you noted, all other times the file is Intended
to be rendered, whereas this one was not, therefore the extreme results,
which also helped throw me off.

So, F4, Edit, not Shift+F3, is what works, at least with MC 4.1.33.

But I Should have caught that mental error I made myself.

Thanks for pointing it out to me.
Eddie Maddox
address@hidden