Re: a proper hosting

From: Antenore Gatta
Subject: Re: a proper hosting
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 09:21:15 +0200

On 9/4/07, Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have been working for very important companies where sometimes a sysadmin
> just get a 'personal' copy of the data!
>
> I think we must avoid it, and a way to try it is using a host managed by
> people 'politically' aligned with us; for example:
>
> I propose we try to get a 'community' hosting.
>
>   a) FSF sysadmins
>
>   b) Savannah host, owned by the FSF but managed by voluntaries
>
>   c) Debian-project host?

I don't think that will be simple to obtain support from them, they
have already problem with resources.

When I contacted Debian and Debian Italia for an alternative to GNU
biz, they forwarded me to the FSF Europe. The answer was at that time
:-) that they didn't have enough resources to support these project
(as several  others), even if Gnu biz was already there...

The best should be housing, in such situation we will manage our host...
But without a proper sponsor it's not applicable, too much expensive.

I.E.

http://www.debian.org/misc/equipment_donations
http://www.debian.org/mirror/official_sponsors

> Antenore, could you add a task at Savannh to take note about we should
> interact with more actors, at the right time?

Done. I set the end of the Month as final date. Every Month I'll update it.

> However I think we must not lose our principles just to get sponsors.

Absolutely yes. Never thought to lose our principles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't misunderstand what I'm proposing, I'll be never agree to accept
any kind of sponsor!!!
No! I'm agree with you 100%, I just think that will be really hard to
have support from other project that they are already looking for new
additional sponsor.

BTW I remember you that Debian is sponsored for example by HP. And
it's just an example....

> Flames about any proposal are not only welcome but needed. I could be
> mistaken!
>
> Davi

BTW, the project is going well, and always more people are joining so,
soon or later, something will happen.