Fwd: Content, Donations, Sponsor, Other projects

From: Antenore Gatta
Subject: Fwd: Content, Donations, Sponsor, Other projects
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 09:09:02 +0200

I forgot the rest of you guys...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Antenore Gatta <address@hidden>
Date: Sep 4, 2007 9:07 AM
Subject: Re: Content, Donations, Sponsor, Other projects

Thanks a lot Davi,

For the task list I was not taking a look on it since the beginning of
the summer, :-( I'm sorry.... , and I forgot our tasks.

So I have only two remarks on your answers...

On 9/4/07, Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
> > 2. Donation (paypal).
>
> About asking for donation to pay developers, I do not think it is good idea.
> Note the Dunc-Tank Debian case.  What happens if the association pay me to
> work on it, but nobody gives me feedback to improve it?
>
> I oppose to hire anybody now, at this state of the project.
>
> Additionally, RMS has not taken its final decision about servers, sys admins,
> etc. The conversations are not closed.
>

> Donations would need a treasurer, and the association being incorporated, as
> exposed initially by John Darrington at the #gnuherds IRC channel. Being
> incorporated has others advantages too. Read below and let know the list what
> you think.

I was speaking about donations not to hire someone, but to pay a proper hosting.
It's not convenient to hope in the help of only one person (association?).

> > 3. Sponsor.
>
> About Sponsors, same than donations.  But even worse because a sponsor
> will require we add their logo at same place.
>
> If the association needs money, it should try donation first, and leave
> sponsors as the last option.
>
> Finally note that if the FSF accept to host the project, the content of the
> site must keep a strict wording, as exposed by RMS.  I do not think sponsors
> will be friendly to the FSF. Anyway, the FSF could be the sponsor.
>

> After we discuss it and come to a conclusion, we must check with RMS about any
> idea before beginning to do anything, due to maybe such idea will not pass
> the Ethics Officer restrictions.  Ref.: http://gnuherds.org/charter#Committee

For sponsors I still think that we should try to interact with more
actors, both of the open source and business oriented scenes.
Obviously not from any kind of sponsors...
Just that one that are already supporting open source projects.

In the begin donations they will give us a few amount of money, maybe
all coming directly from us :-) Only when there will be one or more
sponsors (one is FSF) they will trust more gnuherds.

It's a matter of visibility, nobody will trust us without the proper
actors behind gnuherds.

Yes, the project needs money....

Antenore.