gnu-system-discuss

Re: 70 inactive GNU packages to be decommis ?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: 70 inactive GNU packages to be decommis ?
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2019 22:51:27 +0200

* Alfred M. Szmidt <address@hidden> [2019-09-03 22:33]:
>    If package is not in Debian GNU/Linux, for me this indicates nothing
>    that relates to GNU packages, unless there is some specific discussion
>    related to such specific package, or if there is specific bug report.
>
> Debian is also a GNU/Linux distribution that we do not recommend.

Is it right to say "we do not recommend"? Would it be better to say
that it is not endorsed by the FSF as fully free distribution as they
do not follow free system distribution guidelines[1], just thinking.

The words "recommend" and "endorse" may be synonyms. I think the FSF
does not recommend any of the free system distributions[2] but endorse
all of them. That is my understanding.

Or I could say that FSF recommends all of them, which somehow does not
sound logical to recommend all of system distributions. So there is
some difference in "recommend" vs "endorse".

Reasons for not endorsing Debian are written here:
https://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html

Even that is sad state of matter considering that the FSF has funded
the Debian GNU/Linux in its beginning. But then I am asking also why
then such development happened that Debian started including non-free
software.

Jean

Footnotes:
[1]  https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html