gnu-system-discuss

Re: 70 inactive GNU packages to be decommis ?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: 70 inactive GNU packages to be decommis ?
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2019 06:25:17 +0000

On September 4, 2019 6:08:50 AM UTC, Nala Ginrut <address@hidden> wrote:

>I'm the author and maintainer of GNU XmlAT, I've been considering
>obsolete it for years. And I'd like to add other new meaningful project
>GNU.
>
>Here's a brief reason.
>XmlAT was used to convert XML to s-expr as an intermediate
>presentation for multiple cases. And it can be output to other
>formats. However, it's a bit outdated, because nowadays the industry
>use
>JSON for that case, and it works well.

I am not sure that there is no use for such converters. Document preprocessors
are used often for years silently, without promotion. For example ePerl is
since decades and I still have usage of ePerl on certain pages.

I am quietly using for years Lisp data structures to store information
submitted from websites, then it gets encrypted and sent by email. No database
involved. Nobody knows that because it just works for years.

Many converters are not promoted and they are widely used. It is impossible to
know it just by observing what is popular.

But if your software was never published then probably nobody got possibility
to even try it. Send me sources to see it please. I have one particular need to
try it out.

Jean