Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: Free codecs support (was: release criteria ?

From: Tomas Groth
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: Free codecs support (was: release criteria ?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 11:59:40 +0200 (CEST)

--- Martin Guy <address@hidden> skrev:

> Embedding some magic number in the Flash file format to tell Gnash
> which specific *codec* to select seems like a lame Gnash wart to avoid
> coding the format detection properly.

This is actually how flash does things. Embedded video frames (inside a SWF) is
contained in a videoframe where the used codec is identified using a number
(see http://sswf.sourceforge.net/SWFalexref.html#tag_definevideostream), and it
is this number i'm talking about (Klaus too i guess) when talking about
codecIDs. FLV consists of frames using the same IDs (http://osflash.org/flv),
including audio where specific IDs also means specific codecs. This is why i
think we have to choose some IDs to match codecs. We could perhaps probe for
different video types using other methods...

> it seems better to get a working version of that out to people before
> uprooting the existing audio/video/container code to enlarge it to
> support many separate codecs and codec suites.

Support for new codecs probably wont be (officially) supported in the upcoming
release.

cheers,

Tomas