[Gnash-dev] Free codecs support (was: release criteria ?

From: strk
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Free codecs support (was: release criteria ?
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 21:00:25 +0200

On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 03:54:08PM +0200, Tomas Groth wrote:

> We have two options as i see it. We can just using a non-flv file (ogm, avi,
> etc), which is already supported by at least the ffmpeg-backend, and for some
> filetypes also for the gstreamer-backend. This will also mean that some of the
> function depending on the FLV-format will become unavailable, but as such it
> wont require an extension of the SWF-specs.
> The other options is to continue to use the FLV-format, but use the free
> codecs
> instead of mp3 and H.263, and this will require an extension of the SWF-specs.

Is first option limited to dynamic loading or can also be used for embedding
movies ? Generally speaking I'd postpone SWF format extensions to after we
have a good free specs document finished but support everything possible
w/out changing the specs (including for instance dynamic loading of PNG
or other raster formats).

I guess dynamic loading won't even need any SWF generator support for
being immediately used ?

How would you see a video-announce of Gnash 0.8.0 in a free format ? :)

if ( ! System.capabilities.supportsThisFreeFormat )
{
        xtrace("Sorry, this player doesn't support xxy yet, try Gnash");
}