Re: [Gnash-dev] release criteria ?

From: Tomas Groth
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] release criteria ?
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 15:54:08 +0200 (CEST)

--- strk <address@hidden> skrev:

> On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 04:19:23AM -0700, John Gilmore wrote:
>
> > Before (and after) bitching about the situation with proprietary
> > codecs, we should make sure that all of OUR ducks line up to make it
> > painless for free software users to use the existing free codecs with
> > Gnash.
>
> I agree, it would be interesting to add support for free codecs in both
> Ming and Gnash for video and audio. Dunno if this is possible in one month
> frame for next release though.

I think it would be possible to implement this without to much work, but it
would require to extend the SWF-specifications, with the chance of Adobe
rendering the extensions invalid with their next release.

We have two options as i see it. We can just using a non-flv file (ogm, avi,
etc), which is already supported by at least the ffmpeg-backend, and for some
filetypes also for the gstreamer-backend. This will also mean that some of the
function depending on the FLV-format will become unavailable, but as such it
wont require an extension of the SWF-specs.
The other options is to continue to use the FLV-format, but use the free codecs
instead of mp3 and H.263, and this will require an extension of the SWF-specs.

cheers,

Tomas

Alt i én. Få Yahoo! Mail med adressekartotek, kalender og
notesblok. http://dk.mail.yahoo.com