Re: [Gnash-dev] release criteria ?

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] release criteria ?
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 08:34:28 -0600

Tomas Groth wrote:

> I think it would be possible to implement this without to much work, but it
> would require to extend the SWF-specifications, with the chance of Adobe
> rendering the extensions invalid with their next release.

  We've been planning on extending the Flash specification to support
non-standard codecs for months, we don't really care whether Adobe
supports this or not. When using free tools, like Ming and Gnash, we
should be able to use OGG or Theora as a codec instead of FLV. These
movies would only play in Gnash of course, since I doubt Adobe will add
this type of functionality. I have no problems creating Flash movies
that are incompatible with the Adobe player so that users can create and
play Flash movies using only free codecs.

  We still need to be able to decoded MP3 and FLV, so Gnash can play all
existing Flash video. Using ffmpeg or Gstreamer we can support multiple
codecs, Gnash shouldn't care what the codec is.

        - rob -