Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Time for Actions

From: Andy Halsall
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Time for Actions
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 22:19:24 +0000

On Tuesday 25 March 2008 19:59:57 Simon Ward wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 07:12:58PM +0000, Andy Halsall wrote:
> > Not at all, The only reason I would suggest using the fsuk.org domain is
> > consistency and control (assuming we have any).  From an organisational
> > standpoint it also gives one degree of separation from the FSF, but then
> > as the facility is there I see no inherent problem in using it.
>
> As you may gather from my previous posts, I don’t think we should aim
> for separation from the FSF, but that may be just me.

If the aim is that the FSUK is a UK chapter of the FSF then fine - if not then
I think some separation is warranted, or in the very least we should not be
exclusively related to the FSF.

> At the meeting, my perception, and what I wrote down, was there was a musing
that we might want to avoid some actions that people consider petty.  Nothing
> concrete came of that.

That should probably be revisited at some point, but its probably not
necessary immediately.

> Why is separation from the FSF such a strong concern?

Its not. The only issue I have with it, is that if the FSUK is not a UK
chapter of the FSF then some independence and autonomy is required.  If
nothing else its the look of the thing.  there has been some discussion on
the list so I thought I would highlight it here again for consideration.

> Simon
> PS. I’m on the list, no need to CC me.

Not sure why I did that...

I guess what needs to be established fairly early on is the relationship that
we intend to have with the FSF (I would have thought this is a matter of how
close rather than anything else). Poll?