Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Time for Actions

From: Iain Roberts
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Time for Actions
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:52:48 +0000 (GMT)

A couple of months ago at the FSUK-Manchester meeting, Aidan McGuire spoke
about what we could achieve, and about making the North West a locus for strong
Free Software activity.

>From my experience with varous organisations, I suggest that we need three
>things to happen (in this order).

1. One person needs to take responsibility for making sure that decisions are
reached - otherwise discussions can happily meander on for months.

2. As a group we need to decide how decisions should be made.  There's no one
right answer to this: we might want decision making to be quick and snappy or
slow and thoughtful; we might want everyone to vote or delegate the decision
making to a small number of people, or to one person.  We need to find
something that works and that we're comfortable with.  The person from (1)
needs to listen to the opinions within the group, come up with a proposal for
everyone to vote on and then badger people to vote until (hopefully) over half
of us have supported one option.

3. We need to decide what we're going to try to achieve, and then how we're
going to do it.

Number 3 is the big one, of course.  All the UK FLOSS groups are in a similar
position: a small number of people trying to do something with very limited
time and resources.  The Open Source Consortium has fewer than five active
people and has done good work in the last year on challenging the BBC iPlayer
download service only working on Windows XP and on promoting commercial FLOSS.
The Open Schools Alliance has a similar number of people and has held a
successful conference and raised the profile of FLOSS in parliament.

We could do a lot worse than to check any plans we come up with against the
SMART goals:

S - specific, significant, stretching
M - measurable, meaningful, motivational
A - agreed upon, attainable, achievable, acceptable, action-oriented
R - realistic, relevant, reasonable, rewarding, results-oriented
T - time-based, timely, tangible, trackable

Iain.

--
Iain Roberts
Axiom Tech

Axiom Tech Ltd is registered in England and Wales at 92 Didsbury Road,
Stockport, SK4 2JL, company no 5684132, VAT no 878 6568 46.  Unless agreed
otherwise, all services and products supplied by Axiom Tech are subject to our
standard terms and conditions, available on request.