Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Time for Actions

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Time for Actions
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 00:24:23 +0000

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:19:24PM +0000, Andy Halsall wrote:
> > As you may gather from my previous posts, I don’t think we should aim
> > for separation from the FSF, but that may be just me.
>
> If the aim is that the FSUK is a UK chapter of the FSF then fine - if not
> then
> I think some separation is warranted, or in the very least we should not be
> exclusively related to the FSF.

Not exclusively related.  I think purposefully distancing Manchester
Free Software from the FSF achieves little, other than a sense of
independence or egotistical high.

> > Why is separation from the FSF such a strong concern?
>
> Its not. The only issue I have with it, is that if the FSUK is not a UK
> chapter of the FSF then some independence and autonomy is required.  If
> nothing else its the look of the thing.  there has been some discussion on
> the list so I thought I would highlight it here again for consideration.

I think that where we are now, we are already independent.  We are here
now discussing who we want to affiliate with, how close, etc.  Becoming
a chapter of the FSF is more joining it from our position.  It’s us who
decides, not the FSF or any other organisation, isn’t that autonomy?

> I guess what needs to be established fairly early on is the relationship that
> we intend to have with the FSF (I would have thought this is a matter of how
> close rather than anything else). Poll?

I kind of like where we are.  If it ain’t broke, etc.

simple system that works.
    — John Gaule