Re: [Fsfe-uk] Quest for a Windows7 refund in the UK - laptop upgraded to

From: mgtdee
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Quest for a Windows7 refund in the UK - laptop upgraded to GNU+Linux
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 19:58:59 +0100

Yes, I was buying a system over the phone; a desktop, but I wanted to use the operating system that I already have, not buy a new licence. Dell told me they could not sell me a system without an operating system on it because they have to run the operating system to test that it works. So I said OK sell me a system with Ubuntu on it; use Ubuntu to test it. (I bought a laptop from them last year with Ubuntu on it) And the salesman said they don't sell laptops with ubuntu on any more. They cannot sell a system without Windows7 on it.

So I bought my new computer from another dealer here in the UK who is quite content to put my old OS on it provided that I have a valid licence for it. (I am replacing one pc with a new one because the MB is dying, and I don't see why I should buy another licence. I am going to put the graphics card and hard disc from the old machine into the new one... and install the OS (WXP) from the old pc too.
Margaret.