Re: [Fsfe-uk] Quest for a Windows7 refund in the UK - laptop upgraded to

From: Jon Grant
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Quest for a Windows7 refund in the UK - laptop upgraded to GNU+Linux
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 21:42:48 +0100

Sam Tuke wrote, On 10/02/11 16:18:
On Tuesday 08 February 2011 22:42:07 Jon Grant wrote:
If anyone has any suggestions, or examples how it has been achieved in
the UK before I would love to hear.

I found this old case, but was purchased direct from Dell:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6144782.stm

This is also old, but informative:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=139627&pp=15

Have you told them that you think that having to ship it at your expense is
unreasonable and that local facilities or reimbursement should be available?

I'm keen to see how this turns out, would be good to try and document
procedures for getting refunds from various UK vendors. Unfortunately it seems
that currently it'll have to be on a vendor by vendor basis.

Best of luck,

Hello All

I did not succeed. they refused, unfortunately. Shame on Acer UK of in Plymouth.

Eventually I ran out of time, and then found a friend who wanted the Windows7 code anyway. Instead I've decided I will simply buy the laptop from a company like Dell which sells ubuntu laptops next time. Otherwise, hopefully the EU would legislate eventually to support purchasing laptop without OSs.

Best regards, Jon