Re: [Fsfe-uk] Quest for a Windows7 refund in the UK - laptop upgraded to

From: Andrew M.A. Cater
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Quest for a Windows7 refund in the UK - laptop upgraded to GNU+Linux
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 07:18:34 +0100

On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 03:01:57PM +0100, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi Margaret,
>
> > If you can....  I have just been trying to buy a computer without an
> > operating system and Dell tell me they do not do Ubuntu anymore.
>
> My local LUG has mentioned Novatech on and off when this has cropped up.
> They will supply their laptops without an OS.
>
>     http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/laptop/
>     http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/laptop/range/x10.html
>
> (I've no personal experience of them and this isn't a recommendation.)
>
> Cheers,
> Ralph.

Hi Ralph,

There's was the name I was trying to remember. Have recommended them to a
friend who bought a desktop machine from them at a reasonable price and
is very happy.

Alternatively, find your local computer repairman and buy in one of the
machines that someone has upgraded from - a two year old Windows machine
will still run with Linux when it won't run with the latest Windows software
- more so if the seller was a game player who had to have the latest graphics
drivers

All the best,

Andy