Re: [Fsfe-uk] Quest for a Windows7 refund in the UK - laptop upgraded to

From: Sam Tuke
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Quest for a Windows7 refund in the UK - laptop upgraded to GNU+Linux
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 14:58:45 +0100

On Thursday 05 May 2011 13:54:17 Neil Darlow wrote:
> This seems to be a common attitude, unfortunately. I guess manufacturers
> regard the provision of an OS as essential to operation of the machine and
> why would anyone want to remove or change it?

I have been told that it pays manufacturers handsomely to install Windows
because of the revenue they get from software like Norton, Kaspersky,
Microsoft (for pre-installing additional trials like Office), games, and all
the
other stuff that typically comes pre-embedded in a new laptop these days.
Therefore there may be a strong monetary incentive to use Windows and not
GNU/Linux - even if GNU/Linux is free of licensing fees (which it isn't when
distros like Linpus lite are used), then it could still be 'more expensive'
for manufacturers because of the loss of these extra 'subsidies'.

> > Eventually I ran out of time, and then found a friend who wanted the
> > Windows7 code anyway. Instead I've decided I will simply buy the laptop
> > from a company like Dell which sells ubuntu laptops next time.
> > Otherwise, hopefully the EU would legislate eventually to support
> > purchasing laptop without OSs.

This is a long term battle. I believe that the Italian Association for Users
and Consumers Rights (ADUC) is currently in court trying to force MS to
reimburse license cost to GNU/Linux users. See:
http://fsfe.org/news/2011/news-20110321-01.en.html

> I am presently looking for a decent, N550-based, netbook having suffered
> problems associated with an Asus Eee 900 (apalling battery life) and an
> Acer Aspire One AO751 (non-existent Poulsbo graphics support in newer
> distributions). While Dell may be GNU/Linux friendly, I find the
> specifications of some of their products considerably inferior to
> competitors on a price-for-price comparison basis.

Recently two friends of mine bought new netbooks and I was unable to find a
GNU/Linux based Acer netbook anywhere for sale in the UK. They used to be
available with (the lamentable) Linpus Lite, which was a start, but now all
the netbooks except for some Dells seem to have Windows 7. This is an awful
step backwards.

> A bigger issue for me, accepting that I will throw away Windows and install
> GNU/LInux, is that doing so will probably void my warranty. It shouldn't
> but I suspect that attempting to make a warranty claim after switching the
> OS will have its share of problems.

Personally I'd be very surprised if this is so. I don't see how this could be
legal, and I wouldn't assume it to be the case without proof. Also, previously
when I've sent back laptops under warranty the repair people have had
apparently no interest whatsoever in the installed OS. Depending on the issue
they usually use automated diagnostic tools for hardware problems and ignore
installed software altogether. It really depends on the company though.

Thanks,

Sam.

--
Sam Tuke