Re: [Fsfe-uk] qualifications

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] qualifications
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 13:11:52 +0100

On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 12:59 +0200, Davi Leal wrote:
> Alex Hudson wrote:
> > > As MJ exposed previously, being able to take a look to the candidate's
> > > actual work is the best we can do to measure her qualifications; and
> > > Free Software help at that side.
> >
> > Sure, and I agree with that, but then all you're basically saying is
> > that you're going to do the assessment yourself rather than relying on
> > the assessment of others -
>
> No, about such case, ... I will not do the assessment myself, I will rely on
> the assessment done by the community.  Is his software good or just garbage?

In the case of software, simple peer review might well work. (Peer
review is old in science yet there are still science awards and
qualifications.) It might be that e-bay style recommendations replace
all aspects of quality assurance but that still misses the human angle
that people like a focus for their learning with rewards and
recognition. So whether that is a certificate, a badge or a mod up on
slashdot, it's all part of the same thing. Simply different groups doing
the accreditation with different ways of providing the recognition.

Ian
--
New QCA Accredited IT Qualifications
www.theINGOTs.org