Re: [Fsfe-uk] qualifications

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] qualifications
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 09:18:28 +0100

Dave Crossland wrote:
Marketting, PR, advertising; these are schemes to build trust that are
more effective than certificates and grades. If they were less
effective, we would all use certificates and grades in our purchasing
decisions. That we don't puts the lie to how important they are.

Well, certainly some people use them, otherwise we wouldn't have associations and chartered institutions (which are more popular in some industries than others: in IT, few people recognise chartered status, in others like planning it seems to be virtually mandatory).

Can you give an example of such a scheme which is more effective? Perhaps there are some local ones, but I can't think of many on a national basis...

I think learning ought to be driven directly by a person's needs, and that learning cannot be benchmarked :-)

If you can determine someone's learning needs, you can measure the change in need over time and thus benchmark what they've learned, surely?

Personally I don't believe there are many things you can't measure, and learning certainly isn't one of them.