Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Fwd: [Fsuk-manchester] Richard Stallman talk - Manchester

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Fwd: [Fsuk-manchester] Richard Stallman talk - Manchester (1st May)]
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:44:43 +0100

> >> However in most cases Directors of companies are graduates because the
> >> system requires that as a basic pre-requisite. [...]
> >>

> > What system?  It's not in question 10 of
> > http://www.companies-house.gov.uk/about/gbhtml/gbf1.shtml#one
> >
> >   "10. Can anyone be a company director?
> >
> >   In general terms, yes, but there are some rules. [...]"
> >

> I agree with MJ here - I don't know of any company regulation requiring
> Directors to be graduates,

Of course there isn't, but the system I was referring to is the whole
education and employment system not companies house. Most companies ask
for qualifications when appointing or promoting staff, it's relatively
unusual for senior staff not to be graduates in established companies.
The bureaucratic systems that employ most people require qualifications.
That is of course different for new start ups although I would be
willing to bet that for companies with > 10 million turnover and trading
>10 years the majority of directors will be graduates. If you are not a
graduate you put yourself at a massive disadvantage although I'm sure we
can all identify individual people who bucked the system but they are
often quite unusual people. If you don't have GCSEs or equivalents you
have little chance of getting to be a graduate etc. So at the lower
levels below Level 2, qualifications are unlikely to be a direct route
to a job but they are a necessary step to the higher level
qualifications that are.

> and I set up my last company about four weeks
> ago from scratch. I didn't say anything about my qualifications one way
> or another.

I thought we were discussing the national/international education scene
and why qualifications are important to people. Fact is you can get on
without any but it's a hell of a lot more difficult.

Ian
--
New QCA Accredited IT Qualifications
www.theINGOTs.org