Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Fwd: [Fsuk-manchester] Richard Stallman talk - Manchester

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Fwd: [Fsuk-manchester] Richard Stallman talk - Manchester (1st May)]
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 22:01:47 +0100

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 20:32 +0100, Dave Crossland wrote:
> On 17/04/2008, Dave Crossland <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On 17/04/2008, Ian Lynch <address@hidden> wrote:
> > >  On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 02:17 +0100, Tim Dobson wrote:
> >  >  > "wayne" isn't going to give a shit about RMS's talk because he only
> >  >  > [goes] on myfacespacebook,
> >  >
> >  > Do you realise how bigoted that sounds?
> >
> > I'm not sure Tim was equating intelligence with money or class, and
> >  you have exaggerated his position to make it seem bigoted.
>
> To clarify:
>
> Caricaturing working class people isn't nice, but I'm not
> sure it was bigotry, just the kind of teenage snobbery that tends to
> fade away. If someone in their 30s wrote what Tim did, I guess I'd
> interpret it differently.

Whatever. The important points are

Teaching children about free software so they can make up their own
minds as they grow older is simply good education

Gaining access to the largest population is likely to have the biggest
effect.

If the numbers are great enough it will increase the number of active
community members particularly if we reward community participation and
good citizenship.

If we can make money from certification we can use at least some of it
to support producing free software and free learning content.

Certification can act as a focus for learning communities that originate
their own free resources.

None of which is really relevant to RMS and his talk but it is relevant
to mass education about RMS's message. RMS does have a role in our
optional Moodle course supporting the Gold INGOT

http://theingots.org/moodle/mod/resource/view.php?id=252

Just click login as guest.

Ian
--