Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Fwd: [Fsuk-manchester] Richard Stallman talk - Manchester

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Fwd: [Fsuk-manchester] Richard Stallman talk - Manchester (1st May)]
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:25:20 +0100

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 02:17 +0100, Tim Dobson wrote:
> Jon Grant wrote:
>   > RMS would do well to do a talk in somewhere like the Science Museum
> > then.
>
> +1 but i can't see it happening and who is it then, aimed at? (The
> museum of Science and industry seems to be forever full of school trips
> and family outings. the best place?

Probably if he can get to present to the pupils and their teachers. The
right message to young people who are not entrenched in fear about
change is a very good way of widening the message beyond those already
converted.

>   Manchester Uni is a great location, but I expect many (?) of the
> > attendees will already be using GNU+Linux. Which means RMS is rallying
> > supporters instead of spreading the word as you say.
>
> I am confident there are enough people who don't value freedom as much
> as us, going.

How do you know they don't value freedom? It might simply be that they
don't understand there is an issue. In fact I'd say for most people that
is far more likely.

> I actually think that secondary schools and 6th form colleges are a
> better way for a wider audience. If you think, rightly probably, that
> "wayne" isn't going to give a shit about RMS's talk because he only took
> computing to go on myfacespacebook, then looking at independent schools
> might be an idea.

Do you realise how bigoted that sounds? What you are saying is only the
5 percent from rich families who can afford school fees are worthy of
any effort because the other 95% are too stupid to take the message on
board.

>  Private schools always like to look like they are
> doing something "special" and will invite people to come, see this
> person and "admire" their school.

Private schools can also be some of the most conservative and
reactionary organisations you will come across. Even if we say 20% of
the rest of the population are "Waynes" and irretrievable you are going
for 5% of the potential audience as opposed to 75%.

> I think getting young people into Free Software is very important, and
> actually easier than you might think.

It needs strategies not one off lectures to insignificantly small
groups. Hence the INGOTs qualifications in Open Systems. I'd dispute
that it is easy. It requires understanding the nature of the audience
and a lot of commitment and graft. 5 years so far on the INGOT project
alone to reach a few thousand youngsters in more than a superficial way
but with the capacity to scale globally now. Still not a forgone
conclusion though.

>  I would also suggest that while
> the newbie-ness will (probably) wear away, the rewards from getting
> younger generations into Free Software are massive and have a large,
> mostly untapped potential.

On that I agree otherwise I wouldn't have bet the farm on a business
strategy that is sustainable rather than a flash in the pan. But your
later comments seem totally at odds with your comments about the science
museum and school parties. Have you thought this through? ;-)

Ian
--
New QCA Accredited IT Qualifications
www.theINGOTs.org