Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Fwd: [Fsuk-manchester] Richard Stallman talk - Manchester

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Fwd: [Fsuk-manchester] Richard Stallman talk - Manchester (1st May)]
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 12:57:48 +0100

On 17/04/2008, Ian Lynch <address@hidden> wrote:
> Probably if he can get to present to the pupils and their teachers. The
> right message to young people who are not entrenched in fear about
> change is a very good way of widening the message beyond those already
> converted.

yep.

> How do you know they don't value freedom? It might simply be that they
> don't understand there is an issue. In fact I'd say for most people that
> is far more likely.

fair point. I totally agree.
>From my experience on some of the less Free Software orientated
Manchester tech mailing lists, it's obvious that there *are* people.
Why Free Software etc isn't a primary aim is probably as you say, that
they don't understand it properly.

> Do you realise how bigoted that sounds? What you are saying is only the
> 5 percent from rich families who can afford school fees are worthy of
> any effort because the other 95% are too stupid to take the message on
> board.

I didn't. I do now. It's obviously not like that. It was meant to be
mildly humourous but it doesn't really come off like that. sorry to
anyone who took offence.

> Private schools can also be some of the most conservative and
> reactionary organisations you will come across. Even if we say 20% of
> the rest of the population are "Waynes" and irretrievable you are going
> for 5% of the potential audience as opposed to 75%.

right, sure they are quite conservative organisations in many places.
But they *like to think*, _just like any other school_, that they are
forward thinking.

It doesn't really matter which you target, however I would suggest
that both are equally important. (contrary to what i previously
implied)

> It needs strategies not one off lectures to insignificantly small
> groups.

Sure. But we were discussing lectures, not groups.
Still, its an insightful idea you have just put forward.

> Hence the INGOTs qualifications in Open Systems. I'd dispute
> that it is easy. It requires understanding the nature of the audience
> and a lot of commitment and graft. 5 years so far on the INGOT project
> alone to reach a few thousand youngsters in more than a superficial way
> but with the capacity to scale globally now. Still not a forgone
> conclusion though.

I'll have to look at this, as this is the first time I have heard of
it, but on the face of it sounds pretty cool.

> On that I agree otherwise I wouldn't have bet the farm on a business
> strategy that is sustainable rather than a flash in the pan.

 But your
> later comments seem totally at odds with your comments about the science
> museum and school parties.

> Have you thought this through? ;-)
No. It was 2am ;)

I have now, I think