Re: [Fsfe-uk] qualifications

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] qualifications
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 12:59:02 +0200

Alex Hudson wrote:
> > As MJ exposed previously, being able to take a look to the candidate's
> > actual work is the best we can do to measure her qualifications; and
> > Free Software help at that side.
>
> Sure, and I agree with that, but then all you're basically saying is
> that you're going to do the assessment yourself rather than relying on
> the assessment of others -

No, about such case, ... I will not do the assessment myself, I will rely on
the assessment done by the community.  Is his software good or just garbage?

> there are plenty of certification schemes
> which are based around candidate's previous work, especially where there
> are practical skills involved. For example, to become an electrician in
> the UK you have to study the regulations, but you also have to be
> observed working and have someone else check the standard of your work.

That works for electricians but not for software where the best check is the
one done by the free community.  See the Microsoft product quality. I am sure
it comply with lots of certifications.

Software is different.