Re: MEP positions (Was: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Swpat directive passed by 7 votes.

From: James Heald
Subject: Re: MEP positions (Was: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Swpat directive passed by 7 votes.)
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 13:59:49 +0100

Tom Chance wrote:

On Friday 21 May 2004 11:51, James Heald wrote:

Tom Chance wrote:

We'd aim to do something far more readable too. The FFII one isn't
exactly easy to read. Friends of the Earth have an excellent example of
what we could do:

http://www.foeeurope.org/euvotewatch/

FoE's maths is bizarre though -- they count a 'no show' as equivalent to
 a full vote against.

They do? I see two symbols: "unfriendly" and "did not vote".

Two different symbols, but they count them both the same way when it comes to ranking the parties (or they did when I last looked, a week ago).

Anyway, we can do the maths better, but the presentation is the important thing. It's obvious and accessible, unlike the current FFII tables. Something like this:

http://www.tomchance.org.uk/tmp

We should be making every effort to reduce barriers to the data, even for geeks who are at home with statistics.

Agreed.