Re: [Fsfe-uk] E-envoy and Open file formats

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] E-envoy and Open file formats
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 22:45:32 -0000

ian <address@hidden> wrote:
> So what do you suggest? Plain text is a non-starter or it would already
> be in use as would HTML.

Actually, most of what the government puts online could be done as
HTML without too much trouble, but I suspect the idea of a structured,
near-device-independent *information* format seems to give the people
who spew out DTPd work headaches.  Most of government seems to want to
give the web to their PR departments, but those PR departments don't
want the sort of people who understand HTML in their office and try to
transfer them to a technical group as fast as possible.

Pretty much like the way many other large organisations fail to get the
best from the web, I suspect.

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://address@hidden
Thought: Edwin A Abbott wrote about trouble with Windows in 1884