Re: [Fsfe-uk] E-envoy and Open file formats

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] E-envoy and Open file formats
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 17:42:47 +0100

Hi Ian,

> PDF is an output specification for printing which is read only. Its no
> use for document exchange where the two exchangers need to edit the
> files. That is the whole issue.

To be fair, there's three kinds of document someone may want to
download.

    A read-only one, so PDF is suitable.

    A pre-formatted form where I can either print-out the form,
    hand-write in the answers, and post it back, or fill in
    electronically and send back the completed form.  I too thought PDF
    had capabilities for this kind of form processing but FLOSS hadn't
    kept up.

    A document that I need to be fully editable.  This is fairly unusual
    from gov.uk.  I guess one of their Excel spreadsheets falls into
    this camp.

Cheers,

Ralph.