Re: [Fsfe-uk] E-envoy and Open file formats

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] E-envoy and Open file formats
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 20:58:01 -0000

Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden> wrote:
>     hand-write in the answers, and post it back, or fill in
>     electronically and send back the completed form.  I too thought PDF
>     had capabilities for this kind of form processing but FLOSS hadn't
>     kept up.

Bad sheep!

Seriously, PDF form filling seems to be really quite a painful task and
I'm a little suspicious about why it was added when we already have a
lot of other editable formats.  There just doesn't seem to be the *need*
among the people who can make it happen and I'm told it's a big hill to
climb as a favour.

PDF was meant to cure some of the page sizing and font substitution
problems.  (It doesn't always, but that's not relevant now.)  In that
sort of display area, free software gets it right at least as often as
the proprietary IME.