Re: [Fsfe-uk] E-envoy and Open file formats

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] E-envoy and Open file formats
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 17:53:38 +0100

Hi Ian,

> > > I reckon it would be easier to write a MS-Word Plugin for reading
> > > ooo files (and then you can say - if you can't read it, go
> > > download the plugin. (-: )
> >
> > I was wondering that.
> >
> > Could it be that if the aim is to have usable file formats for
> > download from a government site then plugins for Microsoft Office
> > that read and write `open' formats would be the quickest way there
> > from here.
>
> Do you mean several plug ins? eg an ABI Word, Wordperfect, Lotus, etc?

No, I mean one plugin for, say, MS Word that will read and write to a
single open format, e.g. OO.o.

> Is seems to me a lot harder to get each of these projects to produce a
> read write plug in than to post one open file format.

Yes, produce the open file format, e.g. with OASIS.

> Also to get full edit capability surely you need as near as damn it
> the entire application?

Yes, so once the open file format exists someone, possibly Microsoft,
implements a read/write plugin for it and everyone can stick with their
preferred office suite, which for 99% will be MS Office since it gives
full edit capability since it is an entire application.

Cheers,

Ralph.