Re: [Fsfe-uk] E-envoy and Open file formats

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] E-envoy and Open file formats
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 09:25:11 -0000

ian <address@hidden> wrote:
> a marketing opportunity to get a free software application mass exposure
> at no cost to the project. Do you think MS, Adobe, Oracle would turn
> down such an opportunity on the grounds that it was arguably not the
> technically most efficient way of doing things?

I'm not sure whether you're directing this at me specifically, Ian, but
here's my answer: of course they'd use any opportunity and we should try
to use this opportunity to promote open document formats.  If OOorg's
formats is the most likely way to get that, let's go.  Most of us on
this list probably know that it isn't the best way and there's no harm
in noting that, but this is a small move forwards worth encouraging,
even if we hope for more.  Who knows, it may start spreading clue.