Re: [Fsfe-uk] AGM

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AGM
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 00:37:57 -0000

Alex Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:
> The current idea floating around is that we have the AGM beginning/mid May,
> I think (Mark?). We're probably now talking about a solely AFFS event,
> in London or some other convenient location. What do people think? I think

It needs to be before the end of May and I think it's probably unrealistic
to try to organise it in April now.  I'm currently looking at venues in
the London and East Midlands and I believe Marc is investigating in
Birmingham.  If anyone knows of a suitable venue for a meeting and a small
conference or exhibition (might as well make a day of it, as Alex said),
then please let me know off-list.  Ideally, I think we want to be in a
major city or that central area of the country.

This brings up two other points.

I have started with the assumption that the meeting should take place on
a weekend day, as it's probably a bit short notice for some people to
organise time off work, but does anyone have strong feelings on dates?
Again, please email me off-list to let me know and I'll post a summary,
then try to find a least-worst solution.

If the conference/exhibition idea does work, should we open that to
non-members, at a fee?  (This is the bit where the rest of the committee
shoot me down in flames for opening this can of work/worms.)  Doing so
means that members are getting one less perk, but it may make for a more
lively meeting.

Finally, remembering that there are three types of statistician in this
world -- those who can count and those who can't, does anyone want to
represent a project that they're associated with at the meeting with a
talk or demonstration?  I think it's only fair that we give our loyal
members first opportunity at it.  Any list is provisional until the
details start to firm up, of course.  Yet again, email me off-list.

> Hope this enlightens some, if people have any ideas about this, please
> do make them known!

Let's see what the above does to kick off some ideas...

--
MJR   http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   IM: address@hidden
      This is my home web site.   This for Jabber Messaging.

How's my writing? Let me know via any of my contact details.