Re: [Fsfe-uk] Education Campaign?

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Education Campaign?
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 12:48:20 +0100

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 11:06:00AM +0100, Illtud Daniel wrote:
> Just piping up on something I know a little about:

Thanks for contributing ;)

> sworn never to touch them again). There's a loose coalition of
> institutions and interested parties who have been looking at
> a Free Software ECDL in Welsh (accredited - that costs about ?10k).
> I think a funding application has been made.

That sounds almost exactly like what I was suggesting - would you
be able to put us in touch with these guys?

I think there would be a lot of interest in this type of project - I
know there are people in Italy interested also, as I think I said before.

> as well, apparently). I'd imagine the EU itself (who invented
> the ECDL??) would be a good developer of this courseware, although
> that might be seen as competing with the ECDL industry that they've
> helped establish.

The ECDL industry is mostly based around learning centres, I think, I'm
not sure anyone really makes a business out of the courseware itself. I
think a free software ECDL would also be an enabler to ECDL distance
learning, which has traditionally not necessarily been easy (since you
obviously need to own a copy of all the software used in your course).