Re: Odp: Re: The TrueType rendering accuracy nightmare (Re: Freetype-dev

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: Odp: Re: The TrueType rendering accuracy nightmare (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 184, Issue 24)
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 22:46:58 +0000 (UTC)

On Saturday, 16 May 2020, 11:32:19 GMT+8, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I am not sure what you are trying to say here or trying to do. Your own program is buggy - so go fix it.  As I mentioned twice already - we are on reasonable friendly terms with the Microsoft folks, and they are happy to confirm undocumented behaviors, and afaik from your screenshots, freetype /fontforge matches Microsoft's rendering quite well, and your program is way off and buggy. If you want to ask for help on debugging, ask for help properly.

> No, it's evident that both are glitchy. You can't arbitrary say one renderer but not the other does it "quite well" when both have many errors. They are both extremely glitchy, and that's exactly the implementation nightmare.

There is an international agreed ISO standard, ISO 14496-22, currently at its 4th edition, about fonts. It is quite possible to say one renderer is more compliant than another. So yours is broken, and more broken than others. That's quite evident.

If you are struggling to debug your own piece of buggy software, you should ask for help nicely. Keep saying "mine is as buggy as yours" and hope that knowledgeable people would spend time helping you, is not the way. Quite far from it.

Also, afaik, Frank (the current maintainer of fontforge) does not subscribe to freetype-devel. He is quite a reasonable and helpful guy, but if you have a concrete problem with understanding your failure to use fontforge properly, you should head over to fontforge's github issue tracker.