Re: Odp: Re: The TrueType rendering accuracy nightmare

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: Odp: Re: The TrueType rendering accuracy nightmare
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 16:01:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Monday, 18 May 2020, 05:30:58 GMT+1, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> if you ask FontForge for B/W rasterization it uses FreeType in v35
> mode.  In other words, the rasterization results returned by FontForge
> in this case are *identical* to what ft2-demo returns.

Hi Werner,

I happened to be cleaning up my github account lately - so I have an up-to-date clone of fontforge repo. Fontforge uses freetype for the hinting instruction debugging (i.e. like ttdbug), and when that's on, set v35 for the instruction debugger. However, the freetype-based hinting instruction debugging is optional, and require source of freetype to be present at fontforge's build time. Thus a non-custom build of fontforge does not ever call FT_Property_Set, at all, as far as I can tell, because it is commented out when there isn't a nearby source tree of freetype.

The optional hinting instruction debugger is the only place where FT_Property_Set is used.

Frank or George Williams might be able to give a more authoritative answer - but as far as I can see from fontforge's source code, its rendering behavior is not tunable in the manner of ft2-demos.

Hin-Tak