[Freebangfont-devel] RE: Pagerank

From: Robin Upton
Subject: [Freebangfont-devel] RE: Pagerank
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 19:57:59 -0000

Hi there,

The bottom line is that no one knows for sure (that is, no one who's
telling...) but a lot of factors are important. Google recently had a
big change to how they calculate PR, and the current implementation
has some notable anomolies (i.e. minor projects from big sites such
as SF get too much pagerank) so expect it to change quite a bit. The
empirical summary from people who do 'search optimisation' for a
living(?) is as follows:-

1) MetaKeywords are virtually irrelevant, and have been for a while now
        (add them in, they cost nothing, but they're just too easy to
manipulate)
2) Title = Most important of all
        (look at title pages of popular sites)
3) Links from other sites
        (Very important in generatinq Page Rank , so a link from a PR N
         site will give the page N-1 if it has no other links )
4) Internal links within the site
        (Not so useful for PR, but not irrelevant)

Getting PR is a long term business - optimising the site for a particular
search term is easier; just do a search on the term you're interested in
and modify your page so as to look like the sites that come up highly. Easy.

To get to grips with PR, I recommend you find a copy of (cough) IE and
fit a googlebar to it, then navigate round via backwards link etc. keeping
an eye on the google PR indicator.

PR is updated monthly, about 25th of each month, they tell me, when the
monthly processing of the Google crawl happens. I'll link in some
relevant pages from www.altruists.org before the next update.

Robin