RE: [Freebangfont-devel] Khanda-ta and Ra-Yaphala

From: Andy White
Subject: RE: [Freebangfont-devel] Khanda-ta and Ra-Yaphala
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:40:41 -0000

> Hi,
> >From the screen shot, when we have
> ta+hashonto+zwj+ta+okar, shouldn't the okar bracket the
> second ta rather
> than the whole ?

No it shouldn't, and that what prompted to write my report.

ta+hasanta+ta has the same semantic as the ta_ta conjunct and so vowels
should order around the whole of these two combinations.
khanda_ta+ta does not have the same semantic as ta+hasanta+ta and so
vowels should be ordered around the second ta only.

BTW. In the khandata.jpg, on the last line, the word ta is missing
before the word okaar.

Regarding the ra-yaphala. I should not rush out to implement the 'ra
hasanta ZWJ Ya' in your fonts as there is currently some debate about
this.
The current idea is that this combination can be coded as Ra ZWJ Ya. And
it would then follow that 'A japhala aakar' can be coded as A+ZWJ+AAKAR
The justification being that 'A+hasanta+...' is meaningless and in the
sequence ra+hosonto+ya, the hosonto should apply to the ra and not to
the ya.
More about this later.

Andy