[Freebangfont-devel] Exam Time

From: Andy White
Subject: [Freebangfont-devel] Exam Time
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 00:58:08 -0000

Question 1

Should the sequence: Consonant1 + hasanta + Consonat2 + rashaw_i look
like any of the following?
1. ikar C1 hasanta C2
2. C1 hasanta ikar C2
3. ikar halfC1 C2
4. ikar C1C2.(conjunt)
5. khandata ikar C2

It should be obvious that 3, 4 & 5. are correct, But which to use out of
1 & 2?

Well surprisingly there is a rule.
Use 1. when either:
        a) C2 is a semi-vowel and the hasanta is not representing a
glottal stop.
or      b) C1 hasanta C2 needs to represent a missing conjunct
consonant. (e.g. emulating the case of a typesetter running out of
ta-y-tas)
else
        Use 2.

And what are the semi vowels? --- Yes thatÂ’s right, and they all have
pholas don't they; jophola, rophola b(v)ophola & lophola. So case 1.
will virtually be taken care of automatically by lookups in the font
(you have included lots of the common phola conjuncts in your font,
haven't you?:)

Question 2

How should you explicitly encode each of 1. 2. 3. 4. & 5. given in
Question 1?

1. ummm.., der.. I'll come back to this one later
2. um, Oh yeah.., C1 has anta C2 rashaw_i is explicitly coded as C1
hasanta ZWNJ C2 rashaw_i.
3. This one is encoded as C1 hasanta ZWJ C2 rashaw_i.
4. This one is easy. C1 hasanta C2 rashaw_i. (I assume that there is an
appropriate conjunct available in the font)
5. khandata ikar C2 is encoded as... Um, what did Andy say now? - Oh
yes,  Ta hasanta ZWNJ C2 rashaw_i (if he gets his proposal excepted.)
else its Ta hasanta ZWJ C2 rashaw_i (Which does not work because it is
the same as 'C1 hasanta ZWj C2' which gives sequence 3. And the ikar
would be in the wrong place!

Let's try 1. again - well this is only possible if a. the half form in
the font looks like a C1 hasanta, or b. there is no half form in the
font. So if this is the case it would be C1 hasanta ZWJ C2 rashaw_i.

Andy

ps I think I should rewrite the above as a FAQ or something