RE: [Freebangfont-devel] Fwd: RE: Bengali unicode encode open typefont

From: Andy White
Subject: RE: [Freebangfont-devel] Fwd: RE: Bengali unicode encode open typefont
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 01:10:30 -0000

> First, your grasp of Bengali is better than mine: I didn't
> know about the r-y-jawfola letter ! (Or at least don't recall
> it, I'm sure valiant efforts were made to teach it to me).
Just try talking with me in Bangla and you will soon see who has the
better grasp :-)
Your spelling of this letter has just earned top place in my list of
spellings for it!

Jawfola
Zofola
Zophola
Jofola
Japhala
Yaphala

I just checked in a copy of bangla academy's Bangla banan obhidhan, and
there is only one occurrence of r-y-jawfola. That word is r(y)apar
(=rapper), so it is not surprising that you have not come across it
before.
However if you look in a copy of Samsads English-Bengali dictionary you
will find hundreds of examples listed under 'r'

> I agree with you. But just to make sure I understood you,
> this is what you are proposing right ?
>
> ra+hasonto+(a consonant) = reph form (as is current)
> ra+hashonto+zwj+ontestojaw = ra-y-jawphola <--- proposed change
> xx+ontestojaw = xx+jawphola (as is current)

This is correct. To make it work in a font you would need to add the
lookup as follows

PreBaseSubstitutions (pres)
   hashanta ZWJ Ya -> Japhala
  Ra |