RE: [Freebangfont-devel] Fwd: RE: Bengali unicode encode open typefont

From: Kaushik Ghose
Subject: RE: [Freebangfont-devel] Fwd: RE: Bengali unicode encode open typefont
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 00:10:27 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> I just checked in a copy of bangla academy's Bangla banan obhidhan, and
> there is only one occurrence of r-y-jawfola. That word is r(y)apar
> (=rapper), so it is not surprising that you have not come across it
> before.
> However if you look in a copy of Samsads English-Bengali dictionary you
> will find hundreds of examples listed under 'r'

This is true. A quick glance did not reveal any use other than the
"a" sound of "rapper" and "rank" and "ransom" , could some one verify ?

Also the other case where you want reph-ontestojaw has the sound "r-j"
as in "kulacharjo" (found as a definition of Genealogy in the same dict)
So the two have different sounds, and so there was some justification in
demanding a separate letter for jawphola , and (related) for khanda-ta.

>From what I know of languages in general there will always be
"hacks" since there are always exceptions.

As long as we have a standard.... (and we have it debugged...)

-kg