Re: Release of Enigma 1.30-alpha

From: Sidney Markowitz
Subject: Re: Release of Enigma 1.30-alpha
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 16:38:53 +1300

Andreas Lochmann wrote on 25/12/20 11:19 am:
Could you try "enigma --log --nograb"? This is no solution, but it helps to pin down the problem. It sets two SDL-switches to false; one of them grabs the mouse, such that Enigma does not loose focus when the mouse cursor leaves the window; the other one is connected to relative mouse motion. The first switch has to be on for the game to be playable, but the second ... who knows?

That helped, although as you said, disabling the mouse grab option part of that makes the game unplayable.

Here is what I found before I tried the --log --nograb options:

Removing the external monitors made no difference. Changing the resolution on my laptop screen made no difference.

When I moved the Enigma game window around the virtual desktop, I found that the mouse event numbers got smaller the closer to the upper left corner I put it. I could never get it close enough to the upper left corner top actually work. The smallest numbers were in the 2000 range. When I moved the window toward the lower right corner of the virtual desktop, the numbers could get up into the forty-some thousands.

When I changed the size of the virtual display screen, the numbers in the mouse event output looked like the virtual screen was always something like 45,000 or maybe 50,000 in size. Wherever the Enigma window was and whatever size it was, the mouse event numbers looked like they were based on the position of the mouse within the virtual desktop. For example, if I set the desktop to be as big as I could and set the Enigma window to be as small as I could, then when I put the Enigma window in the upper left, the mouse event numbers could get as low as in the 2000's. But if the virtual display was set to a smaller resolution, the enigma window occupied more of it, so when I put the Enigma window in the upper left, the mouse position of the ball was farther away from the upper left corner as a proportion of virtual display screen size, and the mouse event numbers could not get lower than the 20,000's. In other words, imagine that no matter what the resolution settings in the VM, no matter how many or few pixels the desktop is, when I started a level the mouse events showed where the ball is in a coordinate system that scales to make the desktop approximately 50000x50000.

Here is what I found trying enigma --log --nograb options:

I was able to control the ball with mouse properly, although it was a bit erratic when I set a very large virtual screen size and scaled it to fit on my physical screen. The mouse event numbers were in the two digits range and some of them were negative numbers. If there was an option that did the same thing for relative mouse without disabling mouse grab, that might work.

 Sidney