Re: [Enigma-devel] Re: English Translation

From: Andreas Lochmann
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Re: English Translation
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 20:55:00 +0100

Hi Clifford,

I think, this is a great idea! In contrast to all other languages,
most English parts are written by non-native speakers. (As a
funny byproduct, I originally wrote my levels in English and
later saw them translated back to German by Raoul ;-)

There are lots of English texts accompanied with Enigma, like
the manual and the reference manual, homepage etc. All of them
could need their English polished by a native speaker. This
accounts for the levels, too, as you already mentioned. For my
part, I'd be very happy if you could correct the texts in my levels.
However, I can't speak for the remaining authors.

@Ronald: Are there some chances for an English-po?
 What strategy would you suggest?

Greets,
Andreas

Clifford J. Tasner wrote:

Andreas, Ronald & Company,

I continue to enjoy your great accomplishment. One small issue I have, and it doesn't lessen the fascination your puzzles hold for me, is that occasionally, the translations of the text to English are awkward and non-idiomatic. For example, one level is entitled, "Tripple Threat" - the word is actually spelled "Triple"- now this may have been intentional. However, there are a number of messages in "Aztec Temple" that are off the mark - the word is "relic" not "relict" and "impressive" not "impressing." Also, some of the sentences seem odd to a native English speaker.

Perhaps this isn't a priority. It certainly doesn't diminish how much fun Enigma holds. However, if you are interested in some help, I would be eager to review the various English texts in the game and offer more accurate translations when you're getting ready for the next version of Enigma.

I'm a former Classics student with a background in Linguistics. Before I quit so that I could pursue my film career (I am a film composer), I taught English As A Second Language. I do a great deal of writing in English. I regret that German is not yet among the languages that I speak, but I have some German-speaking friends. I could certainly compare the authors' levels' texts in English and German and make recommendations as to more appropriate English when necessary.

I don't wish to be presumptuous. I just want to make a contribution to something that I appreciate greatly.

Let me know.

Respectfully,

Clifford J. Tasner
(aka Taztunes)