Re: [Enigma-devel] Re: English Translation

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Re: English Translation
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:27:55 +0100

Clifford J. Tasner wrote:
Andreas, Ronald & Company,

I continue to enjoy your great accomplishment. One small issue I have, and it doesn't lessen the fascination your puzzles hold for me, is that occasionally, the translations of the text to English are awkward and non-idiomatic. For example, one level is entitled, "Tripple Threat" - the word is actually spelled "Triple"- now this may have been intentional. However, there are a number of messages in "Aztec Temple" that are off the mark - the word is "relic" not "relict" and "impressive" not "impressing." Also, some of the sentences seem odd to a native English speaker.

The texts are contributions by authors of all contries. We did notice some of the odd sentences but could not correct them in November due to the textual freeze that was necessary for the translations.

Perhaps this isn't a priority. It certainly doesn't diminish how much fun Enigma holds. However, if you are interested in some help, I would be eager to review the various English texts in the game and offer more accurate translations when you're getting ready for the next version of Enigma.

We appreciate a review of all texts by a native English speaker. Currently we can correct English key texts, as we can easily ask the translators for a freeze in their ongoing work while merging in your corrections.

I'm a former Classics student with a background in Linguistics. Before I quit so that I could pursue my film career (I am a film composer), I taught English As A Second Language. I do a great deal of writing in English. I regret that German is not yet among the languages that I speak, but I have some German-speaking friends. I could certainly compare the authors' levels' texts in English and German and make recommendations as to more appropriate English when necessary.

Note that generally the German texts are translations from the English key texts. In case of doubt you may have to ask the level authors. Only a few level make use of the new feature that allows level authors to give additional comments to the translators.

I will send you two files: de.po and fr.po. They contain all English strings together with the German or French translations and all references to the levels and additional comments. Edit the English strings in one of these files. This keeps you from editing over 1000 separate files and simplifies the merge process for us (the English texts are key texts that have to changed in all translations to avoid fuzzy translations).

Thanks for your contribution.

Ronald